Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 27, 2010

Ancient engineering marvels

Well.. That is if you're like me, from the days when Bruce Springsteed was still entertaining the folks in Asbury Park, lenses from that era seem "ancient". The shot below came fully unprepared when I was sitting outside, fiddling with my D2Xs and some MF lenses I scooped up online.

One of them was a Nippon Kogaku 180mm Nikkor-P f/2.8 Auto (how's that for a name, eh?) built between 1977 and 1981. It came with a warning that one of the blades appeared to be malfunctioning, causing incorrect metering from f/4 onward. I have no idea whether that is what's actually causing it's -indeed- odd behaviour, but this puppy really delivers wide open and that was the only demand I had. Just when I was randomly pointing the heavy 180mm at stuff to make some test shots, my daughter climbed the chair in front of me. She was so close that I broke most of the camera-holding-rules out there, bending my head backwards but low and behold, the D2Xs's focus indicator lit and I fired away.

I was amazed after feeding the series to Lightroom. It may be a whole lot of nothing but above all, it turned out to be one the most appreciated portraits I'd ever shot. I've been sold to  screwing old optics onto new Nikons ever since. When I switched to Canon, the small Domke bag with the D2Xs and the MF lenses remained.








No comments:

Post a Comment