Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 27, 2010

Catching summer by it's tail feathers

Last August, we headed north to spend a long weekend on Texel, which is one of the Dutch islands in the Wadden Sea. Hoping for the last couple of sunbeams summer might still be offering, it proved to be against all odds as rain and wind were what the Gods had in store for us. In between showers, we got out nonetheless and the kids loved being on the beach. As usual, I dragged out way too much gear only to find out that I spent most of those 3,5 days shooting with the much bashed and battered Nikon 24-120 VR (the "old" one) on my D700. It turned out to be a very versatile lens indeed and I have yet to find evidence of it's proclaimed shortcomings. Talking about it: someday, I will dedicate a very hefty post to that subject. Yes, there's room for outspoken opinions here too :)

When selecting one of those shots to illustrate this post, I almost automatically decided for this one. It has some kind of "epicness" surrounding it, yet it's merely portraying my son Luuk who desperately tries to catch a kite hovering above him in strong winds. The reflection of the sunlight on his blond hair and the beach, combined with the dark skies and dramatic arm gestures turned this into something special.




Edit: how could I deny Sophie from this particular post? Here she is:



No comments:

Post a Comment